Hola Mi Gente!
The other day I posted my Fricase de Pollo on my Guavette Shop Instagram (If you don't already follow, please check it our @Guavettes_Wonderland) and I had a lot of my followers request that I post the recipe. If you didn't know, the Guavette brand started as a food & lifestyle blog www.Guavette.com in 2017 and then in 2019 when my abuelito was placed in hospice, I decided to create this shop to honor him and our culture. Here I am 3 yrs later with all of you! Bueno, I'm sure you're saying "Deja la muela, mija!" (lol) so, let's get straight to the recipe then!
- A deep pot
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Garlic Press (Optional)
- Serving Spoon
- 2lbs of Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1.5 tsp of Cumin
- 1.5 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 2.5 tsp of Sazón (I use LOISA)
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 1 Large Green pepper
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 1 12oz jar of Manzanilla Olives
- 10 oz of White wine vinegar
- 12oz of Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 medium Golden Potatoes
- 10oz of water (I like mine with LOTS of salsita to drizzle over my rice)
- Let's prep our Sofrito! Cut your yellow onion & green pepper into small 1/2 inch squares (Make sure that you washed the green pepper..don't be nasty lol) and then put them to the side.
- Mince your garlic into tiny pieces or use a garlic press (Make sure they have no skin on the cloves before doing this lol).
- Turn your stove on Med-Low heat and place the deep pot/casuela on it. Pour your Olive oil in the pot and your small cut yellow onions, green peppers, and your minced garlic (stir so that the garlic doesn't burn).
- Stir the Sofrito until the onions are some what translucent (more or less 5min).
- Pour in your white wine vinegar + Tomato sauce + water and stir.
- Throw in your bay leaves + cumin + oregano + sazón + salt and stir.
- Wash and cut each of your potatoes into 4 squares.
- Throw your potatoes into the pot and stir again.
- Pour in your complete jar of Manzanilla Olives with brine and all into the pot and stir.
- Last but not least, place the boneless/skinless Chicken Thighs into the pot and make sure that they are submerged.
- Leave the stove on 3-4 (Low/Med) heat for about 45-55min.
- Make sure to stir occasionally
- If you put the lid on the pot the water will not evaporate (good if you want it with ALOT of salsita)
- If you want it with less salsita make sure to take the lid off and turn up the heat to 5-6 (MED/HIGH). Make sure that you stir a lot so that it doesn't stick because the higher the stove temp the higher the chances that your food will dry out and stick to the pot.
- Always make sure that the potatoes are fork tender by periodically checking them by poking them with your fork before serving.
- Serve with White Rice and Enjoy!
I hope you all love this recipe! If you do, please let me know below.
With love and sazón,